We are delighted to announce this new in-person CPD course in conjunction with Wandsworth council.
How do you make the greater-depth standard the standard? The focus of this course will be on how schools can develop independent greater-depth writers in their classrooms. This course will cover how to:
- Build a culture of independence in your writing classroom.
- Use teaching practices which naturally support the greater-depth statements.
- Ensure your class produces 30+ unique pieces of writing within the parameters of your writing units.
- Harness the power of self-regulation strategy instruction to ensure children’s writing is truly independent.
- Use verbal feedback in a way which always promotes independence.
- Encourage children to use what they learn from their reading in their writing.
- Put a system in place for effective proof-reading.
- Support pupils with EAL to be independent writers from day one.
- Set up personal writing projects which children can craft at school and at home.
The first session will share how teachers can build a culture of independence in their writing classrooms before sharing how they can utilise teaching practices which naturally support the greater-depth statements. Subsequent sessions will build on these approaches, taking attendees’ responses and needs into account as the course develops. You will be encouraged to bring your pupils’ writing and your experiences to each of the sessions.
Session 1 (26/09/22 – 13.30 to 16.30)
●The principles for developing independent greater-depth writers.
Session 2 (21/11/22 – 13.30 to 16.30)
●Let’s have an Ideas Party! How to ensure you receive 30 unique pieces of
●From a germ of an idea to publication: How to guide children through the
●Reader-friendly and reader-ready: Let’s get proof-reading right.
Session 3 (16/01/23 – 13.30 to 16.30)
●Self-regulation strategy instruction: One of the most powerful teaching
practices a teacher of writing can use.
●Verbal feedback as responsive individualised instruction.
Session 4 (06/03/23 – 13.30 to 16.30)
●Setting ambitious writing goals.
●How children use their reading in their writing.
Session 5 (date tbc – 13.30 to 16.30)
●Supporting children with EAL to be independent writers.
●A constant state of composition: introducing personal writing projects.
Delegates will also receive a copy of the following The Writing for Pleasure Centre eBooks worth over £35:
- No more: ‘I don’t know what to write…’ Lessons that help children generate great writing ideas for 3-11 year olds
- No more: ‘My pupils can’t edit!’: A whole school approach to developing proof-readers
- A guide to pupil-conferencing with 3-11 year olds: Powerful feedback & responsive teaching that changes writers
- Getting success criteria right for writing: Helping 3-11 year olds write their best texts
- A teacher’s guide to writing with multilingual children
- A guide to personal writing projects & writing clubs for 3-11 year olds
Cost: £200 for 5 sessions:
- Developing independent greater-depth writers in Y2
Training will take place at Wandsworth Professional Development Centre. Please book your place via this form.