The mission of The Writing For Pleasure Centre is to help all young people become passionate and successful writers.
We look to accomplish this goal through:
- Our school residencies and teacher training workshops.
- Curriculum development and creating resources.
- Conducting, disseminating and publishing research.
- By working with children, teachers, school leaders, teacher-trainers and charities.
We have developed this research-rich website to share the most effective teaching practices. It’s our hope that teachers regard The Writing For Pleasure Centre website as a place where they can access a specialist network and continued professional development that is free.
The Research Base
For the past fifty years, research has been consistent on what makes world-class writing teaching. Despite this, we as teachers can be inundated by a variety of approaches and training, all promising a lot but often lacking the necessary grounding to be successful in the long-term. This is why our website is based on the following:
- Extensive scientific research into the most effective writing instruction.
- Case studies of what the best performing teachers of writing do that makes the difference.
- Our own research into a Writing For Pleasure pedagogy.
- The wisdom of professional writers.
The Writing For Pleasure Centre functions both as a think tank and as an action research community. The result is that we are continually engaged in finding and sharing effective practices, case studies and research findings.
We are fortunate to be supported by our close links to national literacy associations like The UKLA and The National Literacy Trust as well as with academics, exceptional teachers of writing and teacher training universities both at home and abroad.
Become One Of Our Affiliates
Any individual who wants to join our community can do so immediately and for free. All you need to do is subscribe to our newsletter and join our online network on Twitter @WritingRocks_17. Our members regard their membership as being essential to their professional development and identity as exceptional writer-teachers. You can find out more about our existing affiliates here.
As well as learning from the site and your peers, you are encouraged to contribute examples from your own practice too. You can find out more about that here.
Alternatively, why not just start using the resources on this website now?
Subscribe to our newsletter