My First Haiku Book
Why do this project?
This writing project is based on a mentor book called Haiku Baby by Betsy E. Snyder. With that said, it’s not necessary to have a copy of the book to undertake this project with your class – it will just help. Haiku Baby is a collection of haikus written for babies. It’s great to show this collection (or a collection you’ve written) before inviting children to do the same. This is a classic: ‘Hey, I saw this book and thought it was cool – why don’t we make some like it?’ kind of writing project.
Writing a series of haikus gives children the opportunity to write an impression, to capture a moment, to use poetry as a symbol and to make something familiar seem unfamiliar.
This class writing project provides you with:
+ Comprehensive teacher notes:
- Suggestions for both year group and whole school writing progression
- Advice for teachers on how to write great mentor texts
- Over 70 writing study and functional grammar mini-lessons
- Suggested book list for your classroom library
+ You also receive our popular and photocopiable child-facing Genre Booklet which includes:
- Publishing and performance menu
- 1 mentor book of haikus
- Revision checklist
- Editing checklist
+ Finally, we also provide you with our guide to teaching writing to help you get started.