Why do this project?
This writing project is based on a couple of mentor books: The Puffin Book Of Fantastic First Poems edited by June Crebbin and Here’s A Little Poem: A Very First Book Of Poetry by Jane Yolen. With that said, it’s not necessary to have a copy of these book to undertake this project with your class – it will just help. It’s great to show a collection of poems to children (or a collection you’ve written) before inviting children to do the same. This is a classic: ‘Hey, I saw this book and thought it was cool – why don’t we make one like it?’ kind of writing project. You might want to explain what Edited by… means and perhaps ask the children to be the editors of their own class anthology of poetry.
This class writing project provides you with:
+ Comprehensive teacher notes:
- Suggestions for both year group and whole school writing progression
- Advice for teachers on how to write great mentor texts
- Over 70 writing study and functional grammar mini-lessons
- Suggested book list for your classroom library
+ You also receive our popular and photocopiable child-facing Genre Booklet which includes:
- Publishing and performance menu
- 1 mentor book of poems
- Revision checklist
- Editing checklist
+ Finally, we also provide you with our guide to teaching writing to help you get started.