Why do this project?
It makes sense to invite children to make a book of first words as this is probably one of the first books they’ve seen and read themselves growing up. I would hope that you would have similar books in your classroom library too. Children like list books – where something different is shared on each page. They also see it as an opportunity to share about the things they know about or that are important to them. It’s nice to invite children to make their Book Of First Words for an audience younger than them. For example babies and toddlers.
This class writing project provides you with:
+ Comprehensive teacher notes:
- Suggestions for both year group and whole school writing progression
- Advice for teachers on how to write great mentor texts
- Over 15 writing study and functional grammar mini-lessons
- Suggested book list for your classroom library
+ You also receive our popular and photocopiable child-facing Genre Booklet which includes:
- Publishing and performance menu
- 2 exemplar texts
- Revision checklist
- Editing checklist
+ Finally, we also provide you with our guide to teaching writing to help you get started.