Why do this project?
You only have to sit with your class at lunchtime to know that food is a popular topic of conversation for small children. The great strength of this project is that children already know this genre of text. They will have seen food books at home or in the classroom library. Children also like list books – where something different is shared on each page. They see them as an opportunity to share about the things they know about or that are important to them. It’s nice to invite children to make their Food Book for an audience younger than them like babies or toddlers.
This class writing project provides you with:
+ Comprehensive teacher notes:
- Suggestions for both year group and whole school writing progression
- Advice for teachers on how to write great mentor texts
- Over 15 writing study and functional grammar mini-lessons
- Suggested book list for your classroom library
+ You also receive our popular and photocopiable child-facing Genre Booklet which includes:
- Publishing and performance menu
- 2 exemplar texts
- Revision checklist
- Editing checklist
+ Finally, we also provide you with our guide to teaching writing to help you get started.