Why do this project?
The great strength of this project is that children already know this genre of text. They will have seen them at home or in the classroom library. It also allows them to engage in their phonics learning from the perspective of a writer and teacher. By inviting them to write their own ABC books, we can also sow the seeds of intertextuality – that you can copy the types of writing and books that you like. You can then make them your own. Once this lesson is taught, children can make books with ease.
This class writing project provides you with:
+ Comprehensive teacher notes:
- Suggestions for both year group and whole school writing progression
- Advice for teachers on how to write great mentor texts
- Over 15 writing study and functional grammar mini-lessons
- Suggested book list for your classroom library
+ You also receive our popular and photocopiable child-facing Genre Booklet which includes:
- Publishing and performance menu
- 2 exemplar texts
- Revision checklist
- Editing checklist
+ Finally, we also provide you with our guide to teaching writing to help you get started.