Why do this project?
By writing about what they know and care about, children learn that they can use their expertise to inspire and awaken the minds and hearts of others.
Children accumulate lots of information every single day. It is vital to their development as writers that they are given the opportunity to share their knowledge and expertise with others and to experiment with the language and organisation of non-fiction genres.
This class writing project will show children that they can be knowledgeable about a subject and that sharing this knowledge is an enjoyable, social and satisfying thing to do. You and your class will begin to appreciate the pockets of ‘communities’ that make up a writing classroom – with children talking and sharing with each other their passions, interests and aspects of their lives. It is important for children to understand the power of writing as information giving but also to experience it as a social resource.
This class writing project provides you with:
+ Comprehensive teacher notes:
- Suggestions for both year group and whole school writing progression
- Advice for teachers on how to write great mentor texts
- Over 35 writing study and functional grammar mini-lessons
- Suggested book list for your classroom library
+ Our popular and photocopiable child-facing Genre Booklet which includes:
- Year 4 purpose and audience writing wheel
- Publishing and performance menu
- 4 exemplar texts
- Idea generation techniques
- Dabbling and drafting advice
- Revision checklist
- Editing checklist
+ Our quick guide to teaching writing