Why do this project?
Children love to tell each other about the most important people in their lives, who may include not only family members but also carers and close family friends. Making a ‘list’ picture book about some of them lets children write about what they know and make links between home and school. Other children will enjoy having this extra information about the friends they meet every day but who they may only know in the context of the classroom – so a great way to get to know everyone better!
These picture books are an early form of non-fiction writing, but they can also be seen as containing elements of personal narrative and even autobiography. The writers themselves will undoubtedly want to share them with those at home.
This project is quite versatile and can be approached in a number of different ways. For example:
- An information text explaining who all the favourite people are.
- A memoir text with stories about their favourite people.
- A story with their favourite people as the characters.
This class writing project provides you with:
+ Comprehensive teacher notes:
- Suggestions for both year group and whole school writing progression
- Advice for teachers on how to write great mentor texts
- Over 30 writing study and functional grammar mini-lessons
- Suggested book list for your classroom library
+ You also receive our popular and photocopiable child-facing Genre Booklet which includes:
- Publishing and performance menu
- 2 exemplar texts
- Revision checklist
- Editing checklist
+ Finally, we also provide you with our guide to teaching writing to help you get started.